Alex, my brother in law had his big birthday party last Sunday. Alex’s birthday party is always the first BBQ party in the year for me and probably one of the parties definitely on my ‘have to join’ list!
Most of German family style parties are run in the garden in Spring and Summer or anytime when the sun gently kisses the ground. A big crew of guests would arrived at 12.30 for BBQ brunch, and the second group would arrive at 15hr. Since Alex and Doris are such warm and professional guests, there are most of times full of people on their party, around 55, I estimated.
In Germany, especially the family style party, the guests usually bring some ‘surprise’ such like a salad, a cake or a bottle of wine. Although we have variety of selection of food, as the hosts, Alex and Doris prepare even more than you can imagine.
This time I decided to make something salty, since Alex doesn’t have a sweet tooth. I know these straws will be gone very soon.
Ingredients: about 48 straws
(adapted from Joy the baker)
1 Egg, beaten
1 Tbsp water
1 tsp Chili
2 Tbsp Tabasco
120g Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese, graten
150g Emmentaler Cheese, sliced
1Cup fresh Basil (dried herbs is also fine)
2/3 Cup fresh Chives
3 rolls(250g) cold puff pastry
coarse fresh ground black pepper
coarse sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Chop two herbs till small pieces.
3. Prepare a bowl, whisk egg, Tabasco, water, a bit salt and pepper until well mixed.
4. Unfold the pastry, brush the mixture above on the surface pastry.
5. Sprinkle the pastry with – salt, pepper, herbs, powder cheese, sliced cheese, chili.
6. Use a rolling-pin and gently press the toppings into the pastry.
7. Use a pizza knife or a big/long knife, cut pastry into about 15mm. I divided the lengthwise my pastry into 16 strips.
8. Fix two ends of the strips and twist them carefully.
9. Bake for 15mins until well puffed.
10. Spread some egg water on the surface and bake another 5 mins.
11. Without an alarm, you will smell them when they are totally ready to serve, enjoy!